Note: Back when our mail bid sales contained 2,000 lots or so, we were able to maintain a net price list on this page. Once the auctions reached about 5,000 lots, we were unable to dedicate the time to continue with the net price list. If we ever have the chance to resume the listings on this page, we will. Until then, the net price list has been suspended indefinitely. Please visit our postal history mail bid sale by clicking here.
Following are the postal history lots that we currently have
available at the net prices shown. All postal history lots are
offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Lots are priced postpaid
to U.S. addresses. International customers, please see note under
"HOW TO ORDER."
PLEASE READ THE RULES FIRST.
IF YOU HAVE READ THE RULES,
YOU CAN GO TO THE LIST BY CLICKING HERE.
We urge our customers to contact us to reserve lots before sending payment. We will hold reserved lots for ten days, to allow time for payment to arrive.
HOW TO ORDER:
FIRST, confirm availability of the lots that you want, in
one of the following ways:
- Use our Easy Email Inquiry Form.
- Use a standard email link: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (309 ) 786-6539. If the answering machine is on, leave your name and phone number AND THE LOT NUMBERS, so that we can check availability before returning your call. (Please tell us the best time to return the call, so that we have a good chance of reaching you.) After receiving confirmation, send your written order by regular mail, including your check or money order for the amount of the total. Make all checks and money orders payable to: Jim Mehrer. Full payment must accompany all orders.
ILLINOIS RESIDENTS: Add
7% state sales tax to your order.
NOTE: If you must, you may FAX the list of lots that you want us to reserve. BUT, if you do, we ask that you INCLUDE AN EMAIL ADDRESS to receive confirmation of availability. For us to confirm by return FAX (or phone call) is generally very time-consuming and expensive. We'd really rather that you call or email@example.com, or use our Easy Email Inquiry Form.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org , or use our
Easy Email Inquiry Form,
or phone (309 / 786-6539) the lot numbers of the material that
you want, to confirm availability and to receive a price quote
for the required amount of postage for the shipment. We PREFER
that you do this by email email@example.com or by using
our Easy Email Inquiry Form,
but if you call, you'll have the best chance of reaching us
between 9 AM and 8 PM Central Time, Monday through Thursday. If
the answering machine is on, leave your name and THE LOT NUMBERS,
so that we can check availability; then CALL US BACK the next
day. (We will not return international phone calls.)
After receiving confirmation, send your written order by air mail, including your money order for the amount of the total. All drafts must be in U.S. dollars only, payable to: Jim Mehrer. Full payment must accompany all orders.
NOTE: If you must, you may FAX the list of lots that you want us to reserve. BUT, if you do, you MUST INCLUDE AN EMAIL ADDRESS to receive confirmation of availability. We will NOT acknowledge fax requests by return fax or phone call.
PAYMENT: Please pay by check or money order (U.S. funds only), to:
Rock Island, IL 61201 USA
(BE SURE to confirm availability before sending your order. See "How to Order" above.)
We DO NOT accept CHARGE CARDS, and HERE'S WHY: We talked to the charge card companies, but they want 5 percent off the top of whatever we sell, and we don't feel like giving it to them. (Before you write and tell us that we can negotiate a better deal than 5 percent, we know that. But whether it's 3 or 4 or 5 percent, we still don't feel like raising the prices to "cover" it, as they say.) Maybe someday we'll do it, as soon as we're convinced that most of our customers want us to raise our prices. Please email us if you want higher prices.
Phone : (309) 786-6539
Fax : (309) 786-6551
(The fax is on most of the time, but not always, so be sure to confirm on your machine.)
* CONDITIONS OF SALE *
1. Lots are sold on a first-come, first-served basis only.
2. All lots are offered at the net prices shown. This is NOT our mail bid sale list. To see our current Mail Bid Sale, click here.
As for this list, anyone who is unwilling to pay the price shown for a particular item should skip it and go on to the next item. Please do NOT email or call us to make lower offers on the material on this list. If a particular lot remains on the list too long, then we might decide to change the price someday. Feel free to check back anytime to see if the lot is still available at a reduced price, or if someone else has purchased it.
3. All lots must be paid in full before we will ship. We suggest that you reserve lots before sending payment. See the explanations under the heading "HOW TO ORDER" at the top of this page.
4. Because condition is such an important factor for most postal history material, a photocopy service is available. For PHOTOCOPIES, follow these instuctions exactly:
Send a self-addressed stamped envelope, plus:
- 10 cents per each black & white copy requested (of stardard-sized cover or postcard item.)
- 60 cents per each COLOR copy requested (of stardard-sized cover or postcard item.)
- Include proportionate payment for oversized items, letter contents, multiple-piece lots, etc.
Be sure that your return envelope is franked with adequate postage. You MUST include postage and payment with your photocopy request, as we are unable to invoice you for our photocopy service. PLEASE DO NOT request photocopies via email, fax or telephone. Use regular mail only and include your payment and self-addressed stamped envelope. Send requests to: 2405-30 th Street, Rock Island, IL 61201 U.S.A.
For details about our "Cover Scan" Service, click here.
5. This is NOT an approval service. We feel that all lots listed have been accurately identified, described and graded. However, any lot which has been improperly described may be returned for credit or a refund provided such returns are made WITHIN FIVE DAYS of receipt of material. NOTE regarding back flaws: imperfect flaps, hinge marks, surface scuffs, etc., on the backs of covers are NOT acceptable reasons to return material. Collectors requiring perfect backs are urged to request photocopies of the material before bidding (SEE #4 above.) Material offered "AS IS" is NOT returnable for ANY reason.
8. The placing of an order shall constitute acceptance of the foregoing conditions.
CONDITION OF POSTMARKS:
VF : Very Fine (all letters perfectly struck)
F : Fine (letters very well struck)
VG+ : Very Good plus
VG : Very Good (letters well struck,request information regarding but perhaps one or more light)
G+ : Good Plus
G : Good (some letters light or not struck)
Readable: Identifiable; NOT a good example
b/s - backstamp
ms - manuscript
cc - corner card
CDS - circular date stamp
cr - crease
cvr - cover
DCDS- double circle date stamp
E -or- Est - estimated value
EKU - earliest known use
GPC - government post card
h/s - handstamp
LKU - latest known use
MIN - minimum bid
msg - missing
o/s - overstruck
o/w - otherwise
(P) - photo of lot in catalog
PPC - picture post card
PSE - pre-stamped envelope
rec'd - received
reg.pack.rct. - registered package receipt
regd - registered
SFL - stampless folded letter
T, B, L, R - top, bottom, left, right
w/ - with
w/o - without
- Numbers in parentheses are years of opening and closing of post office.
- Commercial ("commer.") usage designates any regular use of mail, to distinguish it from philatelic (collector-created) covers. We frequently we use this term to describe post-1930 covers. Absence of this term in the description does not imply philatelic usage.
- "Catalog Copy" indicates that the item offered in this sale was used as the illustrated representative example in the standard reference catalog for that postmark type.
States are listed in alphabetical order, followed by:
- RPO & Related (inc. Corner Cards & Street Cars) (RR)
- Advertising (AD)
- Auxiliary (AX)
- Ephemera (EP)
- Expositions (EX)
- First Days (FC)
- Foreign Destinations (FD)
- Machines (MC)
- Meters (MR)
- Military (ML)
- Political & Inaugurations (PO)
- Seals (SL)
- Ships (SS)
- Stamps on Cover (ST)
- Territories (TR)
- World-Wide (WW)
- Miscellaneous (MX)
SOME CATEGORIES MAY NOT BE REPRESENTED ON THE LIST BELOW. Also, lots within categories are not necessarily in alphabetical order. Be sure to read the entire category.
PLEASE LIST THE COMPLETE LOT NUMBER: category abbreviation + number.
To see our Mail Bid Sale Catalog, click here.
To see our Postcard Net Price List, click here.
To see our list of Postal History Reference Literature, click here
To see our list of Supplies for Collectors, click here.
For information about consigning material for our Mail Bid Sales, click here.
To see our Show Calendar for Collectors of Stamps, Postal History and Postcards, click here.
To return to our Home Page, click here.
To see our Old-Time Postmark Calendar click here.
To go to our Phone Card page click here.
Comments? Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visitor counter:Note: this counter is occasionally reset due to change of programs or other reasons. For the record: from June 25, 1996, to February 27, 1998, more than 25,000 visitors accessed our site.
©2003 Jim Mehrer . REPRODUCTION OF THE CONTENTS OF THIS
PAGE, IN PART OR WHOLE, IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.